Blogs > Life's Phases

Our lives are composed of a series of phases. They vary with the individual but usually involve childhood, high school, college for some and then a number of career changes. So, let's talk about life in this blog, it's a wide open subject!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

'Special' letter writers deserve to be in the spotlight

Sometimes, you don’t hear about a person until he or she dies and there’s an obituary about the individual in the newspaper.

That’s OK. Some people want it that way. They just haven’t made the local news headlines. That doesn’t mean they haven’t lived an exceptional life and don’t deserve some recognition.

I find this to be the case with a number of regular “special” letter writers — special at least to me. I’ve grown to know and respect them. They aren’t public figures but they write regularly and have strong opinions. Yet they understand the basic and critical role of freedom of speech. They respect other people’s opinions, even if they don’t agree them. That’s a trait that is easily expressed but hard for many people to follow.

One of these special individuals is Ed Sornig of Waterford Township. Ed writes regularly — sometimes too regularly, submitting two or three letters a month when he knows the limit is one per month! But he says writing them is a great release for him. So, I don’t mind reading them and letting him decide which one he wants in print.

Recently I received a letter from Ed that unfortunately I can’t print in its entirety because it’s a very personal account of himself. The rule is a bit flexible but basically we accept letters to the editor discussing a specific topic or issue, not a personal accounting of one’s life.

However, Ed has lived a life that many people might envy and most reasonable people should admire.

He and his wife, Betty, have been married for 54 years. They’ve raised 10 children and have 29 grandchildren and one great grandchild.

In recent correspondence, the religiously oriented man expressed pride — as he should — in having had a lifelong relationship in which both partners remained faithful to each other.

The retired autoworker stays active, you might expect, with such a large family but also is an avid reader of The Oakland Press. He wants to stay informed and also enjoys and appreciates, as we’ve mentioned, the opportunity to express his views in a letter to the editor.

Ed has had his illnesses over the years and recently was told by his doctor that his physical condition is failing. The doctor said he didn’t know how long Ed had but that there wasn’t much the physician could do for him.

Ed’s letter to the editor was a personal expression of his views and his life in the wake of this news from his doctor. He also gave some tips for living and some sound advice.

Over-all, the letter illustrates Ed’s buoyant, upbeat and outspoken yet congenial personality and his thankfulness for what he sees as having lived a full life. His letter reads, in part:

“...I always prayed that I would live long enough to see our children’s children. I have been granted that. My life is drawing to an end. I was told by doctors that there is nothing to prolong my life. They don't have a crystal ball to tell me how much longer I'm going to live. So, I'm going to live my life like I always have, knowing each day could be my last. I have had more blessings then I ever dreamed of. It has truly been a wonderful life...
“...My wife and I have laughed and cried together many times. You know that song, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy?” Well, that's how I feel about life. I never saw anyone get better by worrying. Prayer is still the best healer...
“...The question I am always asked it that are the 10 children a “Yours, Mine and Ours situation?’ I say ‘No, they are just ours.’ People then say ‘are you out of your mind?’ I would say, ‘maybe but I'm happy.’
“...My life has been like a roller coaster with it’s ups and downs. But it’s been a great ride!”

Ed, it’s great to know you. Please, keep those letters coming.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!

June 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a lot to learn from this generation and especially from this man. What a wonderful testimony!

June 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandpa is the best =]

June 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats why we love him!

June 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my dad. I am the youngest of those ten children and although we don't always agree he is definitely the best dad in the world.

June 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home