Blogs > Life's Phases

Our lives are composed of a series of phases. They vary with the individual but usually involve childhood, high school, college for some and then a number of career changes. So, let's talk about life in this blog, it's a wide open subject!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

It never hurts to double check

For those of you who haven’t discovered this, e-mail is wonderful but it’s not perfect.

If someone types one wrong character of your e-mail address, the message won’t get to you.

It’s that simple.

Also, that’s why using some old fashion methods with all this hi tech stuff is not only prudent but wise.

The old saying “never assume” is quite popular among journalists but it really applies to all people and in all circumstances.

In reference to e-mail, never assume that if your e-mail doesn’t come back to you that it reached its intended destination. There is a chance it may just be lost in cyberspace.

That is what apparently happens quite often to e-mail that gets sent to me. I can’t count the number of times someone wondered why I didn’t respond to their e-mail because from their end, “it went through.” Well, you can’t assume.

They should have done a number of things to ensure that I got the message or the letter to the editor or the notice of a meeting date.

The first thing is utilize a very old-fashioned apparatus called a telephone. No, not necessarily the versions that you carry around in your pocket and can text on, access the Internet, take photos and otherwise consume all of your time.

Those could be used but so could that simple little desk model with the funny thing called a receiver and a key pad that actually allows you to touch one number at a time.

Whether you use this old desk model or your new cell phone, call to confirm that an e-mail was received. It only takes a minute and it can eliminate or avoid some very embarrassing situations — like the e-mail that didn’t get to me and I was expecting a time sensitive guest opinion. I finally called the individual to ask where the guest opinion was and the person was shocked to learn I hadn’t already received it. “But it didn’t come back to me,” the person almost indignantly screamed.

When I asked her to double check my e-mail address, it turns out the person forgot the period in: allan.adler@oakpress.com.One wrong character can ruin your whole e-mail experience.

Internet mail is probably 99.9 percent reliable but it’s 100 percent guaranteed that if you have the wrong e-mail address, it won’t reach the intended party.

The moral of this story is don’t be afraid to call me if you send a letter or guest opinion by e-mail. It never hurts to double check to make sure I got it. I promise to always answer my phone if I’m at my desk or return your phone call if I’m not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home